DIY: Tissue Paper Tile Coasters

Tile coasters were one of my first DIY projects I posted on this blog and one of the things that I still use in my house everyday. BUT I'm really tired of looking at these, so I made some really simple new tile coasters using a bunch of stuff I had floating around my craft cabinet.

You'll need: Ceramic Tiles, Mod Podge, Acrylic Sealer, a Sheet of Self-sticking Felt, Scissors, Foam Paint Brush, and different colored tissue papers. I also used a patterned tissue paper with a white background so the pattern would show through.

Tissue-Paper-Coasters-2.jpg

Starting with the patterned tissue paper, rip pieces of tissue paper and glue to the tile using Mod Podge. You'll want to paint a layer of glue on the tile, press the piece of tissue paper down and then paint a layer of glue over the tissue paper. Try and keep the paper from becoming too wrinkled, but some wrinkles are okay. 

Layer the pieces of paper to create a random pattern that is slightly different per tile. Use the corners of the paper at the corner of the tile. Each time you add a piece of tissue paper, include a layer of glue.

Once you've placed the tissue paper pieces where you want them, apply a final coat of glue over the entire tile and sides, and let it dry completely. Once the glue has dried, apply 2-3 coats of sealer over the top and sides of the tiles to seal everything. Let dry completely.

Cut your self-sticking felt sheet into 4 even sides pieces and attach to the bottom of each tile. Done.

Create...

So this is not in any way an original idea, and if you are a Pinterest users as I am, you already know this. I've seen so many tutorials for this and decided that it seemed so easy, why not. Recently, I found three boxes of tiles in Tim's garage and we are considering building a wood coffee table for our living, so I figured that coasters would be easy, inexpensive, and functional. 


I cut some card stock to the size I wanted, ModPodged the paper to the tile, and then covered the entire thing in a healthy dose of ModPodge. I had read in a few places that using an acrylic sealer prevented the ModPodge from staying sticky, So I did two coats of that on top.

Once I was sure they were dry, which was like 3 minutes later, I turned them over and stuck some felt sticker to the bottom. Done.

Happy with the result, will probably end up making a couple sets of these to have around.