Since I returned from my little (long) blogging break in the beginning of 2015 into the summer, I've struggled a bit with what to write about on this blog. My life has changed dramatically since I started blogging in 2012 and so has what I want this space to be. I'm no longer making a ton of DIYs for my home because I have an entire house full of things. I'm no longer setting monthly goals because that wasn't working with my life anymore and I was rarely striving towards them. I stopped documenting weekend adventures because, simply, I didn't feel like I was having them any longer. But, luckily, I'm still eating so this space has continued to show that! And I don't plan on stopping that anytime soon. But I thought it was time to think about what topics interest me, what am I doing every weekend, and what can I not stop thinking about. So I'm throwing in a new feature, which simply talks about 5 things that I'm currently fangirling over. Because, honestly, I want a space to talk about fun things! So here we go.
Five Things I'm Loving Right Now:
1. ASOS Backpack. (Sorry it's sold out!) In summer I'm all about the clutch bag but winter means big bags to me. I was eyeing up this backpack for a while and grabbed it on sale right before my birthday and I'm in love. It holds a ton without hurting my shoulders like larger bag tend to do. I've been using it nonstop for the past month and a half without any signs of wear. I'm a big fan.
2. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in the color Porcelain. I was looking for a tinted moisturizer for days when I'm either in a hurry, feeling lazy about my foundation, or when I'm just running to the supermarket. This checked all the boxes for me: not too shiny, SPF, good match for my skin tone, and just the right amount of coverage (which honestly isn't very much).
3. This Lipstick Combo: Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso with Yves Saint Laurent Glossy Stain in 9 Rouge Laque over top of it. HOLY. CROW. I recently googled "Why don't liquid lipsticks stay on the center of my lips" because I felt like the only weirdo having that problem. I found this article explaining this combo and it really works! Still can't keep it looking fresh for as long as she describes, but definitely an entire night with drinks. After eating I like to check on it, especially if it's something greasy, but after a little touch up it still goes strong. Combining the two is pricey, not going to lie about that, but having a go-to red lipstick combo that I can wear without too much worry was worth it to me. I'll probably hold onto these two products for a while.
4. A Color Story App. As much as I've loved using VSCO Cam to do my mobile photo editing, A Beautiful Mess's A Color Story is damn good. It's the only photo editing app I've used since they released it and I've never used an app with so many filters that I wanted to use! It makes colors pop and whites feel crisp and true. I downloaded all the filters and just feel happily overwhelmed with all my options! If you haven't tried it yet, it's worth the time to explore it. And even the free filters and editing tools are awesome.
5. Silk scarves. Over the years I've collected quite a few vintage silk scarves that I usually wear on my head in the summertime. Cute, vintage-y, and keeps my hair that doesn't want to stay in a high ponytail off my neck. BUT I've been digging through them and trying to find other ways to incorporate them into my winter wardrobe. I've been tying them around my neck, like how you would wear a more traditional scarf. Or wearing them knot-side front, more in place of a statement necklace. I want to try to get more use out of them all-year round and also get myself out of wearing the same necklace with the same top all the time (a habit especially with work clothes).
(Photo by Kate McCann Photography.)